Alexander the NOT-so-Great [Aayaan]


Ok, so I’ve been hearing a lot lately about this guy named Alexander and the controversy of him either being good or bad. I’m here to tell you that he was definitely not good, and he most definitely does not live up to his name of Alexander the “great”. Today I’ll be going over why I claim the Alexander is not “great”. For starters, the man slit people's head just because they didn’t listen to him. I mean seriously, that is nothing close to great, whatsoever.


If you think that is bad then what about him burning down the city-state Athens why you ask 1….just because the Athenians decided to not listen to him.. Not only that, but after the burning he sold the people that lived in Athens into slavery 2. The only reason of him becoming the ruler was actually for two reasons, number one being he wanted to be the strongest and rule the world, and second to spread Greek customs just because he liked his greek customs 3. I understand Alexander wanted a lot of things, doesn’t everybody. The only difference between us and Alexander is the fact that he will execute, burn, or even sell people to slavery to attain his wants 4.
Image result for alexander burning down athens
    Alexander Burning Down Athens
                            www.persepolis.nu



If I could describe Alexander in 5 words I would use….


  • Repulsive
  • Greedy
  • Manipulative
  • Intolerant
  • Arogant


Notice how I DID NOT mention “great”. If you ask me, Alexander did everything only for land and power! Many people say that he was good because he was the first ruler that followed other people’s customs 5, I too appreciate that but the only reason he did that was so that it would be easier for him to convince people to believe in his customs too, or for him to be able to convince the others to listen and follow his commands. Which is why one of the terms I used to describe him was manipulative. Now, I know what you're thinking, “even if he didn’t mean it he still did it” well there is no meaning to him believing other people’s customs! If that hasn’t convinced you yet then I don’t what will! DOn’t join the “Dark side”. I have done the best I can to prove to you Alexander is NOT great!


1 8 Surprising Facts about Alexander the Great- History.com
2 History Through Persian Eyes- BBC.com
3 How Great was Alexander-www.cais-soas.com
4 Alexander The Great- ushistory.org

5 Alexander the Great and His Empire- History Alive/Textbook